The Gothic Novel Mcqs
The Gothic Novel Mcqs, this topic has 99 mcqs, It takes five to ten minutes to complete this free The Gothic Novel Mcqs test. You will see 4 or 5 option of each question. You must choose / think only one option and then press on answer key for check right answer. Practice "The Gothic Novel Mcqs" MCQs and share with your friends, brothers, sisters.
The Gothic Novel Mcqs (Total Quiz: 99)
MCQ: The Gothic novel was intended to have which of the following effects on the reader ?
- To create a sense of mystery, gloom, and suspense
- To make the reader dislike modern society
- To make the reader feel distaste for supernatural themes
- To generate feelings of intense pleasure
MCQ: In “Dracula” what is the significance of the typewriter ?
- It allows women to participate in the novel.
- It serves as a path to the public sphere for women.
- It is a less effective tool than traditional folklore weapons.
- It becomes a way to conceal information.
MCQ: Based on your readings for the course, which of the following best states how critics often interpret the dead hand in “The Castle of Otranto” ?
- The hand represents the superiority of the Enlightenment over medievalism.
- The hand symbolizes the danger of marriage.
- The hand signifies the mysterious pull of the labyrinth.
- The hand represents the claim of primogeniture over the living.
MCQ: In what century and in what literary era was the first Gothic novel written ?
- 17th century; Enlightenment
- 18th century; Enlightenment
- 18th century; Romanticism
- 19th century; Romanticism
MCQ: How does Lewis portray the Catholic confessional in “The Monk”?
- As a path to redemption
- As a necessary control
- As a voyeuristic activity
- As a model for contemporary police work
MCQ: In “The Yellow Wallpaper” what does Gilman suggest about madness ?
- That it is necessary to contain mad women
- That it is an artificial patriarchal tool
- That men also are mad
- That female madness is a serious obstacle to women’s liberation
MCQ: Which character best represents the concept of terror versus that of horror in Lewis’s “The Monk” ?
MCQ: Why does Radcliffe favor the term “romance” as the subtitle to “The Mysteries of Udolpho” ?
- Radcliffe wants to emphasize the happy ending of the marriage of Emily and Valancourt.
- It frees Radcliffe from a strict adherence to common life, allowing her to place Emily in challenging situations.
- Radcliffe considers her work a continuation of the sentimental novel of the 18th century.
- It acknowledges the lack of supernatural plot tricks.
MCQ: What is Strawberry Hill ?
- The ancestral home of Ann Radcliffe
- The ancestral home of HoraceWalpole
- One of the settings in “The Mysteries of Udolpho”
- The inspiration for “The Castle of Otranto”
MCQ: When Mary Shelley writes about ghosts, what is her concern ?
- People are foolishly superstitious.
- A world devoid of supernatural phenomena is a better world.
- A belief in ghosts is a belief in imagination.
- The personification of nature is regressive.